A simple early twentieth century Gothic chapel, built for Nonconformist use, providing an architectural focus and point of historical continuity in a part of Leeds otherwise mostly redeveloped in the post-war era.
The church was built as a small Methodist chapel in 1901. It was acquired as a chapel-of-ease to Christ the King in 1964 and became an independent parish in 1969, before reverting to chapel-of-ease status in about 2004.
The church faces north, but this description follows conventional liturgical orientation.
Simple red brick Gothic chapel of 1901 (dated foundation stones on the flank elevation). The chief architectural display is reserved for the west front. This has gabled, shallow porches on either side with three stepped lancet windows between, with hood moulds. In the gable, a trefoil opening with hood mould for a ventilation grille. The flank elevations are more plainly treated; the site drops away to the south (liturgical east) and there is a hall below (its window openings now bricked up). Simple Gothic arched windows to the side, plain east wall. The roof has concrete tiles.
Typical early twentieth century Nonconformist interior, with the western entrances leading into a lobby area under a western gallery. Partitioning here incorporates some nice glazing of Art Nouveau character. Plain gallery front, supported on two columns. Simple open roof structure, painted white. Attractive carved timber forward altar and reredos, plain wooden benches.